Monday, May 17, 2010

Making Lists

Since I was just wondering what to pack for MLA, this post from helen-ann on the official blog is most timely with its helpful advice on that very subject.

I especially appreciate the reminder about air conditioning. I'm always freezing cold anywhere there's significant air conditioning, and I would be unwise to forget to bring some sweaters or shawls. I have many colorful wraps from which to choose.

It doesn't address the question of which kinds of monsters to plan for. I tried to find some information via Google, but there seem to be few online reports of monsters in DC (though there is this report of UFOs in 1952). There are some zombies, of course, the related ghouls, and Darth Vader.

The most interesting thing I've found so far is the Demon Cat, but it apparently hangs out in the Capitol, so we probably won't see it at the conference.

There are also the expected ghosts of all sorts, but one finds those everywhere and you usually don't hear about them trying to take over cities, so I'm not going to devote any special level of anxiety to them.

I'll be sure to report if I figure out what particular brand of horror we should be practicing for.

.

2 comments:

erinserb said...

I think there are plenty of ghosts, ghouls, and goblins in Washington - hmmmmm... they reside in a big building with a gigantic rotunda - beware their worse than zombies sometimes :-)

A'Llyn said...

Ha--yeah, I almost worked that in there. :)