Saturday, May 15, 2010

Divided Attention

I've commented before that I rarely just watch a show or a movie on TV anymore--I'm always on the computer as well. (Watching TV shows on the computer is more engrossing than on actual TV, because you can't also be doing a lot of unrelated stuff on said computer.)

Often, this isn't really a problem, because you can follow your average action flick while also checking out the awesome stuff that's invariably out there on the internet, but tonight we watched The Story of Marie and Julien, and I think I would have gotten more out of it if I hadn't also been catching up on my blog reading. You can only be distracted to a certain degree while watching a movie with subtitles, but still...

Maybe movie theaters will survive as a place of enforced concentration on the experience of the film.

Of course, to do that they'll have to start enforcing the cell phone bans and such.

Another alternative is to just watch more movies on the computer.

.

1 comment:

erinserb said...

Ahhh yes, I am cathcing up on all of those Outer Limits episodes on Hulu, ya know, the ones I didn't see about 46 years ago - the show was past my bedtime then :-)