Thursday, May 13, 2010

Something for the Handy Dandy Stuff Files

Offering inspiration to the crafty, Erich Vieth at Dangerous Intersection reports that he has decided to begin mixing his own shampoo and condition.

It's apparently cheap, easy, and way lighter on the chemicals than the products you buy in the store. He promises to report back about how his hair responds to the homemade concoctions. See the post for a video with instructions how how and why to try this yourself.

Me, I'm all for making stuff yourself or using stuff you have around rather than buying specialized products. I wash mirrors with vinegar (if I bother to use anything besides water), and scrub the bathtub with baking soda.

I made my own yogurt for years until I stopped eating it regularly. I like to buy giant tubs of plain oatmeal and add my own raisins to a serving, rather than buy the single-serve packets.

But I just bought a truly giant bottle of shampoo, so I think I'm going to have to keep using the commercial stuff for a while. However, I eagerly await the reports as to the effectiveness of homemade baking soda shampoo, and if it turns out to be good enough for Dangerous Intersection, maybe I'll make the switch.

.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I just started making my own granola bars for breakfast in the mornings, and I have a food garden going, but I don't think that I'm quite to the skill level to DIY personal care products yet.

A'Llyn said...

Mm, homemade granola bars sound yummy. I used to make granola...never in bar form, though.