Friday, September 9, 2011

Things I Miss Not Reading Blogs

I hear yesterday was the 45th anniversary of Star Trek (first broadcast September 8, 1966). And I missed it. If I'd known, I'd have baked a cake. Or at least thought about baking a cake.

The original series streams on Netflix now (as well as Next Generation), so I was watching some of those episodes a while ago.

They are exactly as wonderful as I remembered from when I watched the show in re-runs at my grandparents' house when I was a kid, although for somewhat different reasons. Amazingly dated in so many ways, frequently ridiculous, but also optimistic, sometimes thought-provoking, and just plain interesting.

Science fiction on television? Brilliant!

Second only to anything featuring Bugs Bunny (not that there was actually competition, since Bugs Bunny was a morning thing, and Star Trek ran in the evening), it was the show we always wanted to watch.

I don't remember particularly caring about anything else on TV around that time, come to think about it.

Star Trek, you had my love, and will always hold a special, highly dramatic place in my heart.

No comments: