Monday, August 3, 2009

Searching for Direction

Stephen's Lighthouse has good advice about getting to know Bing, Microsoft's new 'decision engine.'

Since it looks like being Google's main competition in the search engine field, as librarians we should be familiar with it, know what it can do well and be able to judge when it might be useful. I confess I've used it only casually, just to see what it looked like, but the advice is well taken.

I'll give it a try when I actually care about the results, and see what I think.


In other news, I took my MINI Cooper out for a spin today. I'm honestly a little too tall for it, and had to scrunch down a touch to look through the windshield and see whether lights had changed, but it's a fun little machine.

I look forward to enjoying some of my other cars in future, now that I have such a vast stable from which to choose (20+ within a few blocks of work alone!) I must say, I am liking the Zipcar experience.

One thing with which Zipcar cannot help me, however, is my nearly supernatural inability to ever get anywhere without mishap. Is there a wrong turn somewhere along this route? Let me at it!

Fortunately I was wary and went prepared with a number for the place I was going, so I was able to get straightened out that way.

It turned out the problem was that there are just too darn many Washington Streets, and I was on one of the ones that wasn't the one I wanted to be on.

That's practically a legitimate wrong turn, you know.

No comments: