Thursday, August 6, 2009

Mmm...Vintage Taste Sensations

Sociological Images reminds us that perceptions of deliciousness vary over time, with a charming ad for 7-Up recommending that it be mixed in equal parts with cold milk to make a special treat for the children.

Yum?

I dunno, I haven't tried it, so in all fairness I can't state with certainty that it would not be stunningly good. And I guess a root beer float is essentially a dairy product mixed with a soda product. A 7-Up float wouldn't seem completely outrageous, right?

Maybe soda and milk do go together like peanut butter and jelly (a combination that people who think of peanuts as mainly savory might find unappetizing).

I'm not rushing out to try it, but I suggest that you do, and let me know how it goes. In the interests of science.

1 comment:

erinserb said...

There was an old slogan for 7-Up.
"you like it, it likes you" :-) Who knows, maybe I am just showing my age. But since root beer and coke go good, why not 7-Up. hmmm, then there is the Sprite vs. 7-Up debate - maybe I should start a focus group to find out.