Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Trial by Not Trial

Well, my time on the Justice Squadron was uneventful. I didn't even get lost on the way to the courthouse.

Once there and gathered with the rest of my cell-phoneless team, we were addressed by a judge, watched a video about the Massachusetts jury system (potential jurors are required to serve no more than "one day, or one trial" every three years), and then sat reading magazines and otherwise amusing ourselves (one guy brought a laptop--I can only assume that since phones aren't allowed, there was also no wireless internet available) until the judge returned to announce that all the cases of the day had been resolved without recourse to trial, and we could go about our business.

So I went to work to be terribly perturbed by a car alarm that wouldn't stop going off. How I hate car alarms. Many's the time I've wished someone would break into a car to make one stop.

Anyway, that was my brush with the justice system. It was orderly and well-managed, even if I didn't get to serve on a jury and do my part to objectively discern the truth of some matter.

.

No comments: