Saturday, April 17, 2010

News From Taxville

So we got a letter from the IRS, which is always something to be greeted with some trepidation. It turns out  it was a nice letter, because they said they've determined we're eligible for some credits we hadn't claimed, and now we get a refund instead of owing money.

Except, I don't really follow the math here, because even if we do get those credits, it doesn't fully account for the difference between the taxable income I calculated and the taxable income they mention in the letter (their number is smaller, hence the refund). So I think I'd better call them.

"Look, are you sure you don't want this money? 'Cause I'll take it, but I really think you should have it. Honestly, buy yourself an inch of highway or something. You know I depend on you to maintain the nation's infrastructure."

Because I love me a fat tax refund, and I'm not saying my math is so awesome that I couldn't have made a mistake (and thanks, by the way, for thinking of credits for me!), but I'd rather double-check before I start making plans for this money.

'Cause you know if it turns out the mistake is on their end, they're gonna want it back.

.

No comments: