Friday, April 9, 2010

Second Life Lives Again?

I haven't thought of Second Life in some time, but it's come across my feed reader again, as a means of letting midwifery students experience simulations of birth situations (via Rachel at Our Bodies Our Blog). So someone is still using it!

I always think "you know, that really does sound like something with a lot of potential," and then...I just never go there.

You know what it is, I bought a Mac, and a lot of the stuff you do in SL involves left/right clicking and it's just super annoying to figure it out on a one-button mouse, so I pretty much gave up.

Hence, due to this simple technology barrier, the extended (permanent?) suspended animation of my Second Life avatar.

If only there were some way to, say, attach a two-button mouse to a laptop, so that you could use the Mac, but also have the powers of left and right clicking!

Naw, it'll never happen. That's the kind of thing you can only get in fantastic virtual worlds!

OK, so it's not just a technology barrier, it's a user-being-too-lazy-to-cross-the-technology-barrier.

.

No comments: