Friday, February 6, 2009

Today in News I Like

I am pleased to see in Salon a resurfacing of a story I read somewhere else a bit ago, about a study comparing children's peanut allergies in the U.K. (where pregnant women and young children are advised to avoid peanuts) and Israel (where no such concerns are common).

It turns out that avoiding peanuts is correlated with higher rates of peanut sensitivity, not lower. Of course (say it with me), correlation is not causation, so this doesn't necessarily mean we should all run out and ply pregnant women and small children with peanuts (although that is precisely what I personally intend to do).

Still, it makes sense in a "familiarity breeds desensitization" model of substance-sensitivity. This would also be the model that advises not trying to keep too antiseptic a house, on the theory that the immune system needs something to practice on. 

Eat a little dirt, kids! It's good for you!*

Since I subsist largely on peanut butter and clean the house maybe twice a year, I am highly in favor of this model. 

I am further encouraged by this report from the American Academy of Pediatrics noting that "Current evidence does not support a major role [in protecting against development of allergies] for maternal dietary restrictions during pregnancy or lactation" or delaying the introduction of certain foods for more than 4-6 months.

Pregnant women and small children, come on over to my place for some peanut butter cookies. Don't mind the dust. (This offer is mainly symbolic: you'll have to let me know before you come over, since I don't actually have the cookies right this minute. The dust I've got, though.)


*A PB&D (peanut butter and dirt) sandwich is especially good for you.

No comments: