Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Hang in There, USPS

I like this post on Cogitamus arguing that the coming increase in the price of stamps is not that big a deal. 

Certainly I always kind of whine about it when the price goes up, because it means I have to go get some make-rate stamps, and keep track of how many old ones I have to use up, and when I can get the new ones, and which are which in my desk drawer (since half the time they don't have an actual number on them these days). 

It's sooooooo haaaaaard, people! 

And expensive! The extra two cents means that by the time I've sent 20 letters, I should almost have been able to send 21 for the same price!

But what, in life, is without pain? (Also, isn't the price of stamps tied to inflation, meaning that it's staying essentially stable? Everything else is more expensive too, ya know.)

I have a certain fondness for the post office. There was a time when I thought I might like to deliver mail, because I could be out walking around a lot in the outdoors. Exercise, seeing people, breathing the air.

Then I decided sitting indoors at a desk with a computer and regular internet access sounded like more fun. Mmmm...internet.

Anyway, is a 2-cent increase really enough to make a big dent in my limited letter-mailing and my use of the post office for all my holiday-package-sending needs? Nah.

You still have my love, USPS. 

No comments: