Sunday, February 22, 2009

Hospital Gowns Optional

Rebirth had an interesting point about nakedness in health care, specifically in the delivery room. 

The post describes a labor nurse's complaint about a woman who wanted to be naked during her labor and after the birth. It made the nurse a little uncomfortable. 

And yes, I can imagine that one feels a little weird having a completely naked person there. We're used to there being a certain level of concealment between doctors and nurses and their patients. They see a lot, but not all at once...I imagine it's easier to deal with the sort of compartmentalization you have to do in healthcare, if you only look at the parts of people that you're interested in right then.

But does it really matter if women in labor want to take off all their clothes? I mean, they're pretty darn exposed anyway--if they're more comfortable without barely-concealing hospital gowns flapping around them in this intense time, shouldn't they be able to go with that, without having to worry about bothering the nurses?

I'm with the post's author: let it go.

Of course, if a woman had rather not be completely naked in front of strangers, I totally understand and support that too. Give her some draperies! It may not be much, but a little fabric provides the idea of clothing, meaning that you don't have to feel completely exposed.

I think I can understand both preferences. So if you're looking to me for validation of your choices, you have it. Go forth, my legions of followers, and give birth in the state of nudity with which you are most comfortable!

Come to think of it, one could make a similer argument for health care in general. Well, maybe not otorhinolaryngology. 

No comments: