Saturday, June 13, 2009

Travelin'

I write this post from onsite at my 10th college reunion in Lewiston, Maine, where it is a lovely sunny day (which is a nice change from the weather in Boston lately).

I have spent the requisite time wandering around oohing and ahing about how things have changed and not changed.

What is that enormous thing behind Rand? What are they going to do to the Bill? What's in the old Commons now?

I remember waiting in line here so many times! My mailbox! Oh yeah, they've always had this piano in the lobby!

And so on.

I have seen a few people I know, and have snagged some free food. I have experienced life in a dorm that I didn't live in while I was here.

Can't ask for much more, right?

But more is to come, because later there's a parade. And some more food. I'm always afraid I'll be hungry at events, and then there's always more food than I can shake an engorged stomach at.

Also, I have two T-shirts already, and I don't rule out the possibility of more to come. This is important, because my current collection of T-shirts includes only about 200, of which I regularly wear the five that are on top of the pile, so I obviously need some more.

To push some of those five further down in the pile. Don't look at me, that's just how the system works.

It's interesting to be back, and to be remembering a phase of my life which now seems really long ago (but is not really, compared to the 65th and 70th reunion classes, who are also represented here). Am I going to be back here again 55 or 60 years from now?

Will they still have that piano in the lobby?

Only time will tell.


No comments: