Thursday, June 25, 2009

Here's an Idea

Pay me to pay attention to my health!

Health Populi has news on research at Wharton suggesting that giving people money makes them more inclined to do things. Who knew?

Wait, was that sarcastic? Sorry--this is interesting, even if it does seem really obvious when you put it like that.

The interesting part from a health standpoint is that people are more likely to successfully do things that they probably sort of already wanted to do, like quit smoking or lose weight or take their medications on schedule, if they get money for it.

It's like paying students for good grades, I guess. I've heard it argued that this is poor motivation for kids (they should be studying for the pure rewards of knowledge, not for the money!), and you could definitely say the same thing here.

I really should be taking care of my health for the sake of the rewards of being healthy, not for the money. Right? I mean, it's just common sense.

And saying that always works really, really well as a behavior motivator.

But if, when you get right down to it, you see better results by giving people money than by telling them about how pleased they'll be years from now to be healthier than they would be if they don't adopt some good habit, maybe it's just practical and economical to give 'em a few bucks.

Whatever works, right? Would we rather have a few dollars, some healthy habits, and tainted motivation, or rest secure in the fact that our bad habits are free from the soiling touch of filthy lucre?

I may still be smoking, but by gum, every time I try to quit it's because I want to, not because I'm getting paid to!

I dunno. I'm all for practical, and if it actually worked (and it must be noted that this research is still ongoing), I'd be pretty fine with the filthy lucre approach.

Especially if I get some of it.

Mmm, lucre.


1 comment:

erinserb said...

Filthy lucre is always accepted; just like the American Express Card. Don't leave home without it!