Monday, June 8, 2009

Phone Calls and Kisses

Been gettin' an awful lot of sales-related phone calls the past couple of weeks.

Not sure if my number expired from the National Do Not Call Registry (it says numbers don't expire, "due to the Do-Not-Call Improvement Act of 2007, which became law in February 2008," but I can't remember when I registered, so maybe it grandfathered into expiration?), or if times are so tough that organizations that are exempt from the list have taken to desperately phoning everyone they can think of.

Anyway, it makes me understand why people like Caller ID. Seriously, I don't even want to pick up the phone anymore.

My current strategy, rather than pay for Caller ID, is to quickly say "hello? Hello?" and then promptly hang up if I don't get an answer. Those auto-dialers usually don't put someone through right away, so a quick disconnect can save an annoying conversation about my long distance service.

I think the odds of my missing out on hearing that I've won the lottery or been blessed with the birth of my first grandchild are pretty low.

Also, I re-registered on the Do Not Call list, just in case.

If you need something to distract you from worrying about my crushing phone problems, and you're also looking to advance the frontiers of science, please enjoy the Kissing Experiment on the Intersection.

The author is taking "an interdisciplinary look at why and how we kiss, drawing on neuroscience, classical history, evolutionary biology, anthropology, and popular culture."

You can further the research by taking a look at 15 photos of kissing couples and deciding whether the kisses strike you as erotic, friendly, or suggestive of a relationship between the two people. I'm already interested in the eventual book.

No comments: