Sunday, June 14, 2009

In the Mists of the 20th Century

I was thinking that technology has come a long way in the 10+ years since I was in college.

For instance, I didn't know anyone with a cell phone in college. No mp3 players. I had a computer, but it certainly wasn't the sleek and adorable laptop I have today.

It was a blocky little box with a tiny screen and a keyboard that was attached with a curly cord, like a phone cord. Aw, who am I kidding, I thought it was adorable too. I loved that thing. But it sure wasn't something you could bring to class and use to take notes.

I had one course with an online discussion forum (participation optional), but otherwise nothing to do with schoolwork was on the web. The college had a website, of course, but it was strictly for informational purposes, like a brochure.

There was no online course registration, grades, syllabi, student account information, nothin'. We got our schedules on paper, and liked it!

Or not, depending on what classes we got into and how early in the morning they were. (9:00 am?! Horrors!)

It's a whole new world, all right, full of new and exciting things.

I do kind of miss thinking 8:30 am was a hideously early time to wake up. I had no idea how dreadful it would get later on in life.

1 comment:

erinserb said...

yes, really kinda "scary" how things have changed. Just think only the past few years prior to library school - no twittering going on back in '06 (at least none that I knew of) :-)