Monday, May 23, 2011

Phone Calls

If you have looked on in envy at the clever phones of others while your own boring old phone does nothing but take calls and send texts, check out Krafty's post, "Smartphones on the Cheap."

She finds that Virgin Mobile (my own cell service provider since I've had a cell phone) offers smartphone plans for as low as $25 a month.

I currently pay around $10 a month, spending 25 cents per minute on very few minutes of calls, plus a $5 text messaging package, so this would still be a significant cost increase for me, but compared to many smartphone plans it's really not much.

Virgin Mobile works fine for me as long as I'm in or around a sizable urban area. I get no signal at all when I visit my mom in Taos, New Mexico, and it can be a bit patchy out in the farther suburbs or in smaller towns in Massachusetts, but I spend 99% of my time in the immediate surroundings of Boston, so it's been OK.

I just consider my visits to my mother "phone vacation time," and honestly, it's not necessarily a bad thing to take a break once in a while.

It's also true that I have sometimes looked on in envy at everyone else's clever phones. Maybe when my current phone needs replacing, I'll upgrade to a smarter model.

.

No comments: