Friday, May 20, 2011

Be Prepared

I keep saying that I am so over zombies, but they keep pulling me back in and trying to get at my brain. It's their thing that they do, I guess.

So the rest of the world is clearly not over the zombie menace, and I would therefore be remiss should I fail to mention the latest exciting update, which I saw on Twitter yesterday: the CDC's emergency preparedness guide for the zombie apocalypse.

There's a lot of helpful information there. Also exciting, a video contest for 'preparedness 101' for the zombie apocalypse. Make a 1-minute video to "show the world how you are preparing for any emergency (hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, zombies…)" and you could win the fame and fortune inherent in having your video posted on the CDC Public Health Matters blog.

You can also download useful graphics like the following to encourage others:

Get A Kit,    Make A Plan, Be Prepared. emergency.cdc.gov

I like how they say "any emergency," and I wonder how many people are going to skip all the ones we see more often and jump right to the zombies when they make their videos. I probably would.

If you need some inspiration, I suggest a quick viewing of the "NLM & You" video contest winners. These were shown at MLA, and they were a fun interlude before the plenary sessions. My favorite is the first runner up, "The Fastest Librarian in the West."

I lived in NM, so I have to cheer them on. Also, the line about the "mighty fine triangular pen" is awesome.

Now go make a video and prove you're prepared for the zombie apocalypse!

Hey...since they do say "any emergency," I guess I could substitute the horror of my choice. An ogre invasion, perhaps.

I do have to say, I kind of love the CDC right now.

.

No comments: