Wednesday, August 11, 2010

You! Into the 'W's!

I've been putting call numbers on some books that don't have them pre-assigned in OCLC, and thinking sadly that we're not going to have NLM records in LocatorPlus to help out anymore.

I understand why they stopped putting NLM classification and Cutter numbers on cataloged items if they don't actually use them down there. It's extra work, and who has time to do work they don't have to these days?

It's handy to have those records as a resource, though. On the other hand, without them I'll get even more chances to classify things myself.

Ah, the heady sense of power that comes from sticking a classification on something!

Yessir, that rush is why we get into librarianship. It's like a drug.

Of course what's even more like a drug, are the drugs. Caffeine and chocolate, I mean.

.

No comments: