Sunday, August 15, 2010

How Now, Good People?

I was fortunate to have the culturally improving experience of some free Shakespeare on the Common last night (a performance of Othello), and I came away with the bright idea that it would be fun to re-popularize the use of the phrase "how now?"

They use it a lot in Shakespeare plays, and I imagine it as equivalent to the "how are you?" of today, or more casually the "what's up?"

What's going on? What's happening? How's everything?

How now, dude?

It's short and sweet, it has a classical pedigree, and it rhymes. "How now" is the check-in phrase of the future, I can feel it.

It's not just for brown cows anymore.

.

2 comments:

brian said...

how now brown cow, but aghhhhh, you beat me to the punch. btw, did that phrase get lost in oblivion?
:-)

A'Llyn said...

I think it was originally for practicing elocution, wasn't it?

You were supposed to sound out the long round "OW"s.

Maybe we don't have enough elocution classes today.