Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Frozen Desserts for Charity

Let's talk about one of my favorite subjects: license for extremes of behavior.

As we know, one common form of license is wild misinterpretation of results from scientific studies (wine has antioxidants, which are healthy, so you should drink several bottles a day!).

Another form of license is "buffet," or "I paid for the all-you-can-eat, so I'd better eat more right now than I would normally consume over the course of a week."

This is especially potent when combined with "a good reason," as in Boston's storied Scooper Bowl, where, for the bargain price of $8, which benefits the Jimmy Fund (supporting cancer research and particularly associated with children's cancers) you can get all the ice cream in the world that you can eat.

It's a worthy cause! Won't someone please think of the children and go stuff themselves with more ice cream than a rational person would contemplate?

I mean, we could just donate $8 to the Jimmy Fund, if we were really dedicated to supporting cancer research, but that wouldn't involve a license to ingest extremes of ice cream. Smart fundraisers know that most people are secretly (in my case I guess not very secretly) selfish and horrible and are much more deeply moved by sweet treats than by sick children.

Dreadful, isn't it? I'm disgusted with myself and my entire species. Present company excepted, of course.

Now that I've totally depressed the mood here, I'm inclined to think that making use of the occasional bit of license for extremes of behavior is a delicious part of the complete life, so I'm pleased to report that I stuffed myself with considerably more ice cream (and gelato and sorbet) than a rational person would contemplate.

For the sake of the children.

.

No comments: