Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Another Whole Grain Triumph

It looks as if brown rice is the way to go--sorry, sticky-rice fans. (Although you can make some fairly gooey brown rice if you cook it that way.)

Don't look at me, it's in the New York Times. Based on research at Harvard, which concluded "Substitution of whole grains, including brown rice, for white rice may lower risk of type 2 diabetes." You gotta want to lower that risk, since type 2 diabetes is not, as far as I know, anyone's idea of a fun addition to life.

This is not alarming news for me, since I prefer brown rice anyway (I find white rice unsatisfying in texture and blandly lacking in flavor--although it is good soaked in curry), but for people who eat a lot of rice but find brown rice to be like chewing on wood shavings, I offer sympathy. And the encouragement that wood shavings really aren't so bad, especially soaked in curry.

Maybe you could mix it half and half? That sometimes works with white and whole wheat flour in recipes.

Mm...rice. I should cook some up and have me some rice and raisins* right now! Or possibly not right now since it's 10 p.m. Maybe right now as in "this week."


*This is one of those things we ate in my family when I was a kid that I'm not sure anyone else ever ate, but it's basically just a cheat-y instant rice pudding: mix rice, raisins, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and milk to taste and enjoy!
.

No comments: