Monday, June 28, 2010

Events of the Day

Had to get up early to teach a class this morning. Evidence-Based Medicine resources for family medicine! It's awesome.

Then I came home a little early, and we went shopping and bought some cherries. They're expensive here, but I am fortunate to be able to afford to splurge on cherries, so I did.

It makes me remember roadside stands selling cherries for ridiculously low prices in the Flathead Valley in Montana. Fat yellow cherries, round red cherries, climbing up trees to collect handfuls of cherries.

Sitting in the grass under trees, eating cherries and throwing the pits into the grass.

Mmm...

Edited to add that we should not forget the small sour pie cherries that turned out to be full of tiny worms. This grossed us kids out, but the grown-ups blithely ate the resulting pie anyway, noting that grubs are full of protein.

I sometimes still think of this when I eat cherry pie, wondering if the cherries in the filling may have had tiny worms in them (the grubs were indistinguishable from the rest of the filling once the pie was baked, so one never knows).

I blithely eat the pie anyway.

What I don't know won't hurt me, and anyway, grubs are full of protein.

.

No comments: