Sunday, March 21, 2010

Good Old Sweet Stuff

Lately I ran out of my regular bottle of honey, which I like to add to peanut butter on bread, and I haven't been to the store since. Poking about in the cupboard (because sometimes you just want the sweets!), I found one of those little jars of honey that you can get at restaurants, along with little jams and containers of syrup.

It had almost completely crystallized and was about the color of molasses, which is darker than most honey (though not all, depending on the pollen source) and possibly darker than this honey started out to be, though given my utter ignorance on where it came from or how long it was there I can't say for sure.

Nevertheless, since I've never known honey to really go bad, and I vaguely recall hearing that honey in recognizable condition was once found in an Egyptian tomb (discussion of both issues on ScienceForums.net here), I boldly had at it. It had a slightly woody taste that was a little unusual, and of course was a bit crunchy from the solidified sugar, but no real complaints.

I'm happy with this outcome, since I always feel bad about wasting food. Even tiny quantities of food in little glass jars.

I'll be sure to note if I wind up coming down with any wood-flavored sugary ailments, that my experimentation may benefit others.

.

1 comment:

erinserb said...

I think there is no expiration date on honey; I also heard that somewhere. I think there are so many good antioxidants in it that nothing can make it go bad by just sitting there - happy eating :-)