Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Visual Learners Rejoice

This is pretty cool: PubMed is now indexing JoVE, the Journal of Visualized Experiments

JoVE, in the site's own words, "is a peer reviewed, open access, online journal devoted to the publication of biological research in a video format." It publishes videos demonstrating research and experimental techniques in categories from Basic Protocols to Immunology, and looks like a really useful educational resource. 

I'm totally going to try some of these techniques at home, too. Proper Care and Cleaning of the Microscope? I'm all over it. (OK, I'm lying. I do my part to practice proper lab safety, by not attempting to do anything near or related to labs.)

This announcement back in April notes that inclusion in PubMed "demonstrates the official acceptance of new approaches to science communication, such as video online, by the scientific community," and this really does seem noteworthy. There are a lot of valuable resources that it could be handy to have indexing access to, and not all may be in conventional journal form (to the extent that even a lot of journals are 'conventional' anymore, considering the amount of material on the web). 

A not-primarily-print format journal providing the kind of value that merits PubMed indexing suggests that newer media forms are maturing and getting some recognition. Interesting stuff!

David Rothman gets credit for alerting me to this. I mean, I was just about to notice it myself, on one of my regularly scheduled reviews of the entire list of indexed journals, but...


1 comment:

David said...

Hah! Thanks for the chuckle, A'Llyn. :)