Thursday, August 7, 2008

Oooog...Blogs...

You know how you take a break in routine, say by going away to Montana for a week, and then when you come back it takes a while to get into the groove again? 

Yeah, so I have 1,000+ (it only counts up to a thousand, so that could be 1,001 or 40,000 for all I know) unread posts in my RSS reader. It's going to take me a while to get caught up here.

In the meantime, until I am reacquainted with my feeds and have health, technical or library-related things to muse about, I'll just note that I found this Boston Globe Magazine article interesting. It's about an increase in female bank robbers in the past several years:

In 2002, according to the FBI, women accounted for approximately 4.9 percent of all bank robbers; in 2003, for 5.4 percent; in 2004, for 5.7 percent; and in 2005, for 6 percent. In 2006, the last year for which the FBI has complete statistics, about 6.2 percent of bank robbers were women - a 25 percent increase since 2002.

The article suggests that as women have come to see themselves as participants in various spheres (law, business, politics) and to take more active roles in public life, they have also come to think of crime as an option as viable for them as for men. 

The piece notes that 80% of crime is still committed by men, and since only 16% of the 110th US congress is female, perhaps gender equality is proceeding a little more quickly in crime than in law. Which I guess could make sense: it's presumably easier to commit crimes than to get elected to public office. (I'm not going to get into the obvious politician jokes there, but feel free to snicker among yourselves.)

Naturally I'm not saying it's a great thing that anyone is robbing banks---that's my money in there too, you know---but I don't think it's any more dreadful that it's women than that it's men. People of both genders are people, and people often do stuff I personally dislike. For some reason, few of them consult me. 

And that, my friends, is just one of the things that is so terribly wrong with this world. Time to sigh dismally and go read other, better blog posts.


No comments: