Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Clinging to Insecurity

I had the same password for my Hotmail account ever since I opened it, about 13 years ago. I know you're not supposed to do this, but I'd had it so long that it actually no longer met the minimum length requirements for passwords on Hotmail, so I figured anyone trying to hack it wouldn't guess an unacceptable password, right?

Apparently this logic was suddenly not good enough for Hotmail, after years of accepting it, because just this Monday (without warning!) I tried to sign in and it told me I had to change my password.

Sigh.

Again, I know you're supposed to change passwords regularly anyway, so this makes me more secure (I guess), but I keep automatically typing in my old password that I've been typing in for 14 years, and getting an error message, and it's kind of annoying.

That's my peevish comment of the day.

No comments: