Thursday, January 13, 2011

Entertaining Interludes

I forgot how much I kind of like working on web pages until I started a little project today.

It's nitpicky, eyeball-wearying work, so obviously just my style.

The fun part is how you can change things in the horrible-looking hidden side, on the server, and then go back and it will look all neat and cool on the actual web page!

My mind is blown.

It's like when I was two and realized that when you rub this colored wax on this paper--you get a mark! On the paper! (I don't actually remember having that realization, but I imagine it was pretty thrilling.)

More specifically, it's like the first time I realized you could change things in the horrible-looking hidden side, on the server, and then go back and have it look all neat and cool on the actual web page.

You'll probably be thinking "it must be nice to be so easily impressed, so you can experience that fantastic thrill twice," and you'll be right.

I have to say that the sense of awesome power is also a draw.

You have no idea what I could be doing to that website even now. I could put anything I wanted on there, and it would be official.

Until someone noticed and took it down and possibly fired me, depending on what it was. Probably just long poetic phrases about how cool I am and how much redheads rule.

I had that power at my last job, and I realize I may have missed it.

Of course I can put anything I want in the catalog, too, so that's taken the edge off for a while.

.

No comments: