Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tragedy Narrowly Averted

I couldn't find my phone today.

I looked all over my office, the reference desk, the back room (even though I pretty much never take it out of my office while I'm at work), but there was no sign of it. I knew I had it yesterday, but not last night, so I'd last seen it in my office, but couldn't recall exactly when.

Calling it produced no sound, but then, it's set on 'vibrate,' so that's not a reliable indicator of whether or not it's in the area.

I was all set to retrace my steps back through the doctor's office buildings I wandered all over yesterday looking for the location of my eye exam, but I had a last, ground-level look around my office first.

And joy! I must have dropped it on the floor and then kicked it under my desk. So I may have some unresolved anger issues regarding this phone, but at least it was found.

It was an emotional reunion.

Cries of "you terrible gadget! How could you frighten me like this?!" mingled with murmurs of "come here, all is forgiven!" and showers of kisses.

I have an inactive backup phone that I could have transferred my account to, so it wouldn't have been the worst thing ever if it had actually been permanently lost, but I was still pretty happy to see it.

The slightly relevant point of all this (aside from my just liking to tell dramatic stories about myself) is that this reminded me that I really ought to back up my data.

Yet again, in yet another format, I have non-redundant data that is pitifully vulnerable to loss! When will I learn?

Yes, it's not a lot of data--I don't have a smartphone--but there are phone numbers in this device that I have not recorded on paper. It would be a real pain to get them all again. Let this be a lesson to me to save my contacts list in another place as well.

I'll get right on it. As soon as I'm done eating cherries and reading blogs.

3 comments:

erinserb said...

To show my age, I long for a mint condition Trim-line "dial" phone for a conversation piece; or some serious finger exercise. I would consider this phone a luxury item bound for a museum, but as far as my cell phone, I would be lost - I know what you mean.

A'Llyn said...

Hey, I remember dial phones. It took so long to wind back around from the 0.

erinserb said...

Ahhhh yes, but so vintage!! Yes, winding back from 0, well during the time it takes for the dial to get back to 0, one could think about what they were going to say to the operator. You know them operators could get kinda surly :-)