Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sunshine, Lollipops and Broken Glass

Another fine day. Sky blue, sun shining, birds singing, flowers blooming, etc. I went out to pick up trash along the Charles River as part of the Charles River Conservancy's annual clean-up. Obvious.

It was a good day to be out. I would like to share the following observations:

  • If you smoke, please don't throw your cigarette butts on the ground. It may appear that they just vanish into the grass like magic or something, never to trouble the world again, but believe me, they do not.

  • You can get a decent leg workout hunkering down after a bit of trash, rising, and repeating. Yeah, cleaning up a magnificent natural landmark and public space is OK, but it's really all about my quads!

  • Further along those lines, if you spend some time crouching down picking up bits of broken glass in the sun, and then stand up suddenly, you can get a wicked head rush. It's all about my quads, and a cheap and fleeting high!

  • For some reason, I feel more kindly towards glass debris than towards plastic. Maybe it's that glass will eventually get all worn down and cool-looking, whereas plastic just becomes dingy. So if you must litter, I will be marginally more kindly disposed towards you strewing glass around. As long as I have shoes.

  • I have previously expressed my admiration for Caveat Lector. That admiration is greatly increased by the D&D reference in this post. Love it.


No comments: