Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ah, Marketing

Interesting post on The Slow Cook about a marketing campaign (by companies that sell bottled water) to discourage people from drinking tap water.

Now in some places in the world it is certainly true that water from the tap (or tap-equivalent) is actually unfit for drinking from a health standpoint, so I'm not going to issue blanket condemnations of drinking bottled water. Although blanket condemnations are a lot of fun and I'm all for them in principle.

Still, being that here in the United States the tap water is fairly uniformly potable, I personally find it silly to pay good money for something you can get for a lot less good money by being on the local water system, for which our good tax dollars presumably pay anyway. I will therefore continue to drink the heck out of tap water as a matter of course. 

Especially since we keep hearing that bottled water generally comes from various city water systems anyway, just conveniently repackaged (convenient in the sense that one can carry it around easily, and, more to the point, charge a lot of money for it. I wish I'd thought of that.)

Every once in a while, in a restaurant, the option has been presented: "tap or bottled water?" I suppose this might be part of a subtle attempt to push the bottled stuff, since they can charge for that, but I'm too socially clueless to have ever felt the slightest hesitation in saying "tap is fine." 

Laugh in the face of peer pressure, everyone! 

flip flopping joy pointed out this story before me.

No comments: