Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Reasonably Satisfied Movie Review: 'State of Play'

So we saw State of Play last night, and it was not about libraries or health, but did somewhat address issues of technology, since it was a loving tribute to the awesomeness of good old-fashioned reporters and print journalism.

Which, hey, I feel the love of these things, even while I also feel the creeping disinterest in newspapers that apparently everyone in the country feels. I feel bad they're all failing, but...I have enough to do reading blogs!

The movie kind of works with the fact that news is changing: the paper at which a main character works (the Washington Globe) has just been bought by a profit-hungry company called MediaCorp, while another main character works at the paper as a blogger and there's some back and forth about this.

Is blogging real journalism? Is the blogger a real reporter? Do some stories need to be read on newsprint? The movie is interested in these questions.

Anyway, I found it reasonably entertaining, with good performances by the actors involved. Helen Mirren is fantastic, and must be especially honored (love her), and Russell Crowe was rather charmingly stout and disheveled.

In addition to print journalism, the movie was about the risks of privately owned military forces. This issue is also a key point in this season of 24, so it must be a hot topic, and certainly one that has some pretty interesting aspects.

The story involves murder and cover-up and a vast corporate conspiracy on the part of Blackwater--I mean Starkwood--I mean PointCorp, which our intrepid reporters must work to uncover before time runs out.

I shall not lay out the details, lest points of interest be spoiled; it's fairly typical of such thriller plots (I didn't find myself especially surprised by anything that happened), but it's also fairly well done, and, as I said, includes good performances.

I enjoyed a lot of the acting, and there's good interplay with the reporters, the cops, the editor (Helen Mirren: can I just say again, awesome), the colorful characters they run into, etc.

If you enjoy political/journalism/action thrillers, you could do worse.

No comments: