Sunday, April 19, 2009

Party in PubMedLand!

Made it to Bethesda, knitting needles and all!

I happen to have connections in DC, so invariably when I come down to this neck of the woods, I have a fabulous time. I can never think why I don't come more often, except that it involves organizing a plane ride and all.

Anyway, here I am, mostly ready to learn fun facts about PubMed in the morning, and thoroughly enlivened by the DC nightlife.

My only regret...is that...I have...boneitis!

I mean, my only regret is that I have to get up tomorrow as if it were a workday, rather than sleeping in. It's not quite work, but I do have to pay attention.

Yawn.

Here's another thing about this neck of the woods: I'm all for the Metro, but I can't decide how I feel about its fare system. In Boston, it's a flat fare to get on, no matter where you're going: pay up front and you're done.

Here, the cost of the ride depends on how far you've traveled, and the cost isn't deducted from your fare card until you leave the system. Now, that makes sense, from a practical point of view, but it also means that if you haven't got the system memorized you wind up never quite knowing if you've put enough money on your fare card to let you out again once you've completed your ride.

I think Boston might be easier. But heck, either way, I just like to have public transportation, so I'm not really complaining.

.

No comments: