Sunday, March 8, 2009

Oh, Hey, Daylight Saving Time

Hello, Eastern Daylight Time. 

Wish I could say it was a pleasure to see you, but I know I'm going to be unhappy tomorrow when I have to wake up in the dimness that was 5:30 am yesterday, so my enthusiasm is tempered with preemptive grouchiness.

On the plus side, I know that I will, on the other end of the day, be pleased to get home while the sun is still up. As it gets brighter and brighter in the early mornings, it also makes sense to be up and seeing the sunlight instead of sleeping through it.

I'm not really a DST-hater: I see some personal advantages to the system in that the "still light when I get home from work" time happens earlier in the year. (See here for an overview of possible benefits/disadvantages presented in an interesting 'node' format that's kind of fun--click on a series of labeled clouds to see information on various subtopics.) 

But those first few hits of getting up at the new 6:30 are always tough. 

Hang in there, adoring followers: we'll get through this. Think of the sunny summer evenings that await!

No comments: