Monday, March 9, 2009

Animal Type: Eat/Not Eat

4&20 Blackbirds has news about a proposal to allow facilities for slaughter and processing of horses for meat in Montana.

I remember we had a proposal to ban slaughter of horses for human consumption in Massachusetts back in 2002. I honestly don't remember how I voted on it, because I couldn't really figure out what I thought about it. Also, I thought, is consumption of horses really a big issue in Massachusetts right now?

It turns out most horses killed for meat are destined for consumption overseas, so, no, it's not a big issue in Massachusetts, specifically, but it happens elsewhere.

The ban failed here (likely in part due to voter fraud allegations around an unrelated bill), so technically I could buy a horse, kill it in my backyard, and eat it anytime I wanted! OK, probably not. I'm pretty sure there are still all kinds of regulations around the slaughter of animals in general. Also, the management of my apartment complex would certainly have a problem with it.

Now, I'm pretty much with 4&20 on the concerns around the Montana bill. The post raises good points about regulation, responsibilities of animal ownership, and more; it goes well beyond the "ew, this is gross and wrong!" reaction that a lot of the anti-horse-eating arguments seem to come down to.

But this is a weird question, I think. I mean, I'm not rah-rah for eating horses.* I like horses. We had horses on and off when I was a kid. Horses are cool, and they look gorgeous with their tresses blowing in the wind. But...

A lot of the sites opposing horse slaughter stress how cruel the slaughter process is, and how noble horses are, and so forth. The "ew gross wrong!" argument.

And I don't doubt the slaughter process is brutal, but the arguments seem a little hypocritical to me, unless they're also made in opposition to the brutal slaughter of cows, pigs, sheep, etc. It's not as if the facilities that handle those slaughters are renowned for their super kind and gentle treatment of the animals, or as if cows just mind death less.

Yes, I know horses aren't among the animals we typically eat in this country, but that's really all you can say about it: it's not typical. And yes, horses are beautiful, cool, admirable animals--but they're animals. If you eat animals, especially large four-legged grazing animals, well...they're all kin, aren't they?

If you're OK with the slaughter of cows (which can also be strong, beautiful animals) and pigs (which are smart and sociable animals, if not what I personally consider beautiful), your arguments against the cruel slaughter of horses are kind of just backed up by personal preference. Or so it seems to me.

Of course, I'm sure some of the people opposed to horse slaughter are firmly opposed to animal cruelty in other forms, and don't eat any animals from slaughterhouses, and I salute the consistency of that position.

But I bet some people are (truly and sincerely) horrified by the thought of horses being slaughtered and eaten, but don't see anything wrong with having a hamburger or a pork roast.

Again, I'm not saying we should all start eating horses tomorrow. I don't plan to, certainly. I'm not saying I'm all for slaughtering horses and shipping the meat overseas.

I'm just saying there's something about getting upset about eating one kind of animal and merrily chowing down on another that makes me start to think we have some sort of mental disconnect at work. 


*Although I should perhaps note that I have actually eaten horse, long ago. It was...meat.


No comments: