Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mmm, Data

I always like a new database! Especially a free one I can recommend to the students.

Along those lines, we have Data.gov, which will offer access to data sets from the federal government. It offers a "featured dataset" (today the Residential Energy Consumption Survey) and the option to access either raw data or tools for data mining.

It seems to basically collect data from various federal agencies that has probably been available on other sites, but is now conveniently in one place.

This could obviously be potentially useful for all sorts of research. There are several interesting categories to search, with information on education, nutrition, social statistics, law enforcement, and more.

You can search by keyword, category, agency, or data file type (XML, CVS/Text, etc.).

The site also invites suggestions for what sorts of data we'd like to see in future, so I'll be wracking my brain to think of helpful information I may someday like to access. Come on, brain! Tell me what you need!

There doesn't actually appear to be a whole lot there right now (47 results in "raw data," 27 in "tools"), but what's there could certainly be of help to someone--especially if you're interested in copper smelting, as who isn't--and I will keep an eye on the site.

iLibrarian saw this before I did.

No comments: