Wednesday, May 6, 2009

About This Phone-Posting Thing

As noted below, I was playing around with the nifty features of Blogger and find I can successfully post from my phone without trouble, but the formatting options are pretty much none (unless someone has cool tricks?), so I can't add a title or line breaks or anything.

Therefore, it looks pretty bad.

I figured this had probably been possible forever and I just never noticed the little 'set up mobile posting' option, but it turns out it's only been there for not quite two months (according to bloggingtips.com).

Which makes me still pretty unobservant, but not as much as if I'd always been able to do this and just noticed.

Frankly, though, considering its lack of aesthetic appeal, SMS posting is not up to my usual high standards. I will only be using it for those times when I'm desperate to share a sudden awesome thought or important bit of news (160 characters or less!) and am not near my computer.

Don't hold your breath.


In an utterly unrelated item, I thought this map of the U.S., where a bunch of place names taken from native languages are replaced with English translations, was pretty cool. As just one example of the information I found here, I did not know that Winooski (Vermont) means Onion Land.

It's an interesting idea. The meaning of place names tends to get lost in the background of the conception of a place, even when they're in a language I understand (New York? I only rarely think about old York when I hear the words), and when they're in languages I know nothing about, it might as well just be sounds.

This map reminds me that these sounds are actual words expressing some description of a place. Even if it's not necessarily an accurate description anymore (is Winooski still onion land?).

The station where I get on the train to go to work isn't exactly a grove of oaks anymore, either.

The map was put together by National Geographic, and was noticed by LISNews before me.

No comments: