Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Speaking of Bugs

I saw this alarming article in Stuff@Night detailing the ways in which wine may be vegan/vegetarian-unfriendly (not to mention kind of gross).

It seems--and stands to reason when you think about it--that large numbers of insects and even small mammals tend to get swept up in the grape harvest and may wind up pulverised in the wine-making process. Needless to say, any solid particles of these creatures will be strained out before the wine reaches the bottle and your glass (or, if you're in a hurry, your mouth), but if you're serious about a vegan lifestyle, you have to consider that animals probably did die in the process.

I would imagine, though, that the same must be said about wheat, corn, or pretty much anything that's harvested using the efficient machinery of the modern agricultural process. Those machines aren't selective enough to pick only the part we eat: they're going to sweep a lot of little things up along with it.

Not to mention the insects and small animals that are intentionally killed to prevent them from eating the crops before we get to them.

So if you eat bread, might as well have wine to go with it, that's what I say.

I personally am not a vegan, although I'm sympathetic to the idea, so I'm more interested in the ick-factor of bug juice in my wine. But, as I concluded with regard to food coloring, I'm willing to assume that what I don't know won't hurt me on this. If I can't see bug legs floating around, I'll drink it.

Heck, even if I do see a stray insect limb, I might pick it out and drink it anyway. I hate to waste good wine, after all.

No comments: