Wednesday, January 21, 2009

More Twittering

The Krafty Librarian, who is more awesome than I am, has some thoughts about Twitter and its use in health care. 

She expresses something I've also wondered about:

I have yet to really figure out what voice I want within it [Twitter]. Do I want to have a professional twitter feed keeping people updated with library news, activities, and things similar to this blog? Or do I post about non library events like I did during the inauguration today? I enjoy hearing from other people and keeping up with events, but I am still trying to find my twitter legs.

Heh: 'Twitter legs.' I like it. 

I am similarly unsure what I'm trying to do with Twitter. Something professionally relevant? Something personally amusing? Anything at all? Am I only doing it because everyone else is? If everyone else jumped off a bridge, would I do it too?*

As a result of this uncertainty, I sort of half-assedly post random updates at random times when I happen to think of it. There is, as yet, no larger theme, except on occasions like the inauguration and the election, where I enjoyed reading and posting with a bunch of other people on a single event. 

I found that an interesting way to add to the experience of an event in which I was not directly participating, and could see this perspective also being fun for a bunch of people at a party or a concert, say--enjoying each others' viewpoints on a subject of shared interest.

I could also see postings on a general theme of medicine, health care, etc. being a useful possibility. Science Roll is very interested in this potential, and I like to see the explorations there. 

I'm certainly no part of such thematically organized Twittering, though. I don't even have it on my phone (I pay per text, and just don't want to pay for that many messages). I enjoy reading other peoples' updates, and see interesting possibilities for the technology, but we'll have to see whether or not it turns into anything more than occasional blurting of disconnected thoughts for me. 


*It depends. Are there cool technology gadgets, free movies, or wine under the bridge?

No comments: