Thursday, September 25, 2008

Better Get Tagging

iLibrarian notes that WorldCat, our favorite giant robot on the catalog playground, is now offering the ability to tag records

Users will need to have registered for a WorldCat account, and will have to be signed in to see their tags. You can also see the tags other people have assigned, allowing for browsing based on other users' terms. The announcement states that we should "Stay tuned as even more tagging functionality and display options are incorporated into the service over the coming months," so who knows what exciting things will one day be possible?

Interesting stuff.

To be honest, my tagging activity has really trailed off lately. I've been storing links in Google docs or my browser's 'Favorites' instead, old style, and don't even have a del.icio.us icon on my toolbar right now. I did it for a while, and it's not that I don't see the value of tagging, it's just a habit that hasn't really caught so far.

Still, you never know when it will turn out to be the exact right tool for some task, and I'll leap right back into it. Maybe into WorldCat!


No comments: