Monday, June 13, 2011

Trudging For Better Health

Since I was fretting about my commute killing me the other day, I thought I would note, on the pro-commute side, that I just picked up a nifty STAT!Ref branded pedometer recently (no, it's not a robot in socks, but it's pretty cool), and it indicates that I'm getting just about the recommended 10,000 steps in a workday.

I have to say that this is pretty much entirely because I walk a mile and half on the way to work. I would not be taking that many steps while at work. Mostly at work I sit at one desk or another.

And I would not be taking that many steps at home. Mostly at home I sit in this chair and look at my computer, or sit on the floor and look at the TV screen. I like to imagine that ducking involuntarily when something in my video game attacks me is exercise, but we all know this is unlikely to be true.

Really the thing is, 10,000 is kind of a big number.

So basically I lead a highly sedentary lifestyle other than the regular brisk activity that is forced upon me by my commute. I'm still not totally in love with the commute, mind you, because I'm still a little horrified by the vast amounts of time it consumes, but I reckon it's not all bad.

.

No comments: