Saturday, October 25, 2008

Anniversaries

I hear it was (on the 24th, technically yesterday although I'm still awake) the anniversary of Black Thursday, the first day of the market crash of 1929. 

I don't have anything particularly profound to say about that, other than I guess it goes to show the current situation could be worse.

Or possibly that it will be, given that 1929's Black Thursday was followed by Black Monday and Black Tuesday, and we all know what happened after that.

I'll just remain optimistic and comfort myself with the thought that even if I lose all my money, it's not money and material goods that make people happy anyway. 

Well, maybe a little. My laptop makes me pretty happy. 

My extensive shelves and piles of books make me happy, but also threaten to crush me beneath their accumulating weight because I'm running out of room for them. So we see that possessions are certainly a mixed blessing.

Not that I'm about to give any of those books up.

No comments: