Monday, October 3, 2011

Vegetable Know-How

I've heard that the heat in some hot peppers is mainly in the seeds, rather than the flesh. I believe it.

Because I sliced up a little poblano pepper and tossed it in a salad and ate it with perfect calm.

And I scooped up the seeds, and that sort of pale inside bit that holds the seeds, and tossed them out, and my hands were burning for hours.

Good thing I didn't absentmindedly rub my eyes. These are the adventures one gets into, when one purchases the Box 'o Veggies at the farmer's market.

Another adventure is squash seeds. I love to roast and devour them, so it saddens me to think that people scoop them out and throw them away. People should be sending them to me instead!

Because know what would make my day? Receiving a gallon jar of squash guts in the mail.

All right, maybe not, but only because they would probably spoil.

Having someone knock on my door, and when I opened it they wordlessly presented me with a gallon jar of fresh squash guts, gave a curt, knowing nod, and hurried away? That would make my day.


No comments: