Sunday, July 18, 2010

Keeping Down Appearances

I was interested in this Sociological Images post about clotheslines.

These are often considered tacky or low-class, like something that only poor people use that should be avoided by anyone with money, so a lot of neighborhoods with zoning regulations designed to ensure a certain standard of appearance have rules against them. This remains true even though they're very practical because they can save a lot of energy (as well as making clothes smell all nice and fresh).

People with money, of course, are not concerned with saving energy, and can afford to buy dryer fabrics to make their clothes smell fresh, so it's hard to get an argument going there.

We always had clotheslines when I was a kid, although I suppose that's not much of an argument against their being tacky and low-class, and I am strongly pro-clothesline, myself. I'd be tacking them up all over the place, if I had a yard that didn't belong to my apartment complex.

I would also be growing herbs and flowers in said yard. Mint and poppies everywhere, it would be!

What wasn't clotheslines, mint and poppies would be cobbles, so that I wouldn't have to worry about mowing and tending grass, for I am not strongly pro-lawn.

.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Our rented downstairs of a house came with a gas push mower and the responsibility to take care of a (tiny) lawn. We bought a hand-reel mower so as not to pollute and noise pollute. While I love my back-porch container garden, I could do without even the minimal amount of mowing we do every couple of weeks in the Gulf Coast heat! I also have an indoor clothes line that stretches down a hall so as not to scandalize the neighbors.

A'Llyn said...

I'm often tempted to become nocturnal in the summer. If I only had to go outside and do things at 4am, life might be OK.

I'd be all about the hand-reel mower if I had to take care of a lawn, though!