Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Color of Blood

I kind of like this recipe for homemade hand sanitizer, posted on Healthbolt. I usually just go with soap and water, or sometimes the bottled purple stuff that's scattered in convenient locations all over where I work (including, lately, right in front of the elevators, which is a nice way to make it available to pretty much everyone who passes through the building except lone weirdos like me who climb the stairs).

I like that stuff, 'cause it's purple. But I also like the idea of just mixing up a batch of my own purple stuff, using ingredients I have right to hand around the house:

  • aloe vera gel
  • grain alcohol
  • tea tree oil
  • fragrance 
  • purple food coloring (although that's my own addition, and might dye your hands)

On second thought, I don't have those things around the house. And it's hard to even find purple food coloring, so you have to try mixing your own out of red and blue, which even though they tell you that's the way color works, it never actually comes out purple, it comes out this strange muddy color.

Beware of trying to make purple. That's why they had to make purple dye out of sea snails in the old days: it's really hard to get it to come out right. Not that making it out of sea snails was exactly the work of a lazy moment.

I also hear (check ye olde Wikipedia) that the most popular purple shade was "exactly the colour of clotted blood, and is of a blackish hue to the sight, but of a shining appearance when held up to the light."

Clotted blood, eh? That sounds more like a very dark red than what I today think of as purple. I would call this purple:





Clotted blood, not quite so much:



I mean, it's a little purple, but really more red. But I guess the Phoenicians liked the color of blood more than the color of crocuses.

In closing, and to bring this back to the original topic of today's ramblings, please sanitize your hands if they come into contact with blood clots.

.

No comments: