Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Casting My Social Network

Finally! My membership in Facebook and LinkedIn pays off!

I enjoyed the PubMed application in Facebook, and was pleased to reply to the MLA event (I think I'm going to be there). I need to harass some more people to join me on LinkedIn, too. 

I can see these sites being useful as a way for librarians to keep in touch: as a student in an online program, Facebook has been a nice way to maintain contact with some of my classmates in other states.

I find the library profiles on Facebook and MySpace interesting as well, and this seems like a good way to offer a library presence in a place where users are likely to be. Whether or not they see it/take advantage of it may vary depending on the audience and the design of the profile, but it can't hurt to be there. Meet the people where they are, as they say.

No comments: